Inspired by Dr Seuss, I set about creating my own version of green eggs and ham this evening….. and to great success! It was added to the cookbook. This one took about 15 mins from start to finish this evening (I had probably taken another 15 this morning to make the sauce – but if you were doing it all together I’m thinking an easy dinner in under 20 mins!) This is more of a sweet fragrant curry than a spicy one.
- 1 Cup of basmati rice
- 4 carrots
- 200g spinach leaves ( a big bag)
- 4 tsp cumin ground (half for sauce, half for meat balls)
- 4 tsp of coriander seeds ground (half for sauce, half for meat balls)
- salt and pepper
- 3 C of chicken stock (I make my own buy getting a couple of chicken frames from the butcher and simmering for 2-3 hours with salt and pepper. It freezes really well in portion sized containers so you can defrost and use for a meal).
- 350g mince
- 1/3 C of rice crumbs (or GF bread crumbs, or GF flour)
- 1/3 C sesame seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
Start by putting a pot of rice on so that it has time to steam at the end. I made basmati as its so tasty with curry.
- For the sauce, take the ends off 4 carrots, chop roughly (leave the skins on) and boil them for 10 mins.
- In a bowl add the mince, half the cumin and half the coriander, along with the sesame seeds, rice crumbs, and a decent pinch of salt/ pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Into a hot pan (no oil at this stage) add roughly rolled meat balls, approx a big heaped tsp of mixture for each, they should be about 2-3cm round. Once you have added the last of them to the pan add a tsp of oil. If you add them as you roll them then they should be ready to toss them around. Keep tossing them every minute or so for about 4 mins. The sesame seeds will go crispy and when you add the sauce they keep their crunch!
- By this stage your carrots should be ready to strain. Add to the blender with the spinach, the rest of the cumin and coriander, the chicken stock, salt and pepper. Blend them until smooth. You may have to stop a couple of times to push the leaves down into the mixture.
- The rice should be ready to take off. Cover and let steam until your ready to serve.
- Pour the sauce over the meat balls and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer until the sauce is hot and serve
Green eggs and ham are born, technically…. in a sort of more green carrot curry and crispy sesame meat ball kind of a way