I have Jenny from ‘Independence’ to thank for this one. When we were away on our honeymoon in the middle of nowhere, Jenny whipped up some banana bread (I stole a corner and man it was good). This is the GF /fructose-friendly version of hers. My theory is if you can make it on a boat in Vava’u then there is absolutely no reason that you cant make it at home with the creature comforts and ingredients in hand.
It was warm and sunny this morning and the world was singing the tune of banana bread! I put it on, went for a run and upon my return the house was wafting warm banana smells down the hallway and onto the street…
So the ingredients list…
- 1 1/2 C sugar (I use 1C sugar and 1/2 C of glucose)
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 mashed bananas (the blacker the better)
- 1tsp of vanilla bean paste (vanilla essence does the trick if you can’t find vanilla bean paste that is fructose/ inulin free)
- 3 TBsp milk
- 1 TBsp white vinegar (the secret ingredient of awesomeness)
- 2 C GF flour mix
- 1 tsp zantham gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
The all important instructions….
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cream butter and sugar in bowl, then add eggs one at a time and mix in thoroughly.
3. Mash bananas on a plate and then stir through mixture
4. Add vanilla, milk and vinegar and stir through.
5. Sift in dry ingredients
6. Once combined, line a loaf tin with baking paper, and pour in mixture.
7. Bake for 45-55 mins until centre springs back and a knife comes out clean.